The July 2017 family picnic and business meeting for the Madison DX Club was held on Tuesday the 11th at the home of N9CHN and KA9GPY on Lake Wisconsin. The meeting was called to order by club president, Lloyd – N9LB at 7:15 PM. Sixteen members and guests attended.
Secretary’s Report:Not available
Treasurer’s Report:Not available
– DX Report… Ted – K9IMM reported that recent propagation has been “not so good”.
– Repeater… Ed – N9MW: Changes to the MDXC 444.775 / 449.775 repeater are coming soon.
– DX Spotting Cluster… Ed – N9MW: W9BG is operating well.
– Website… Ed – N9MW: http://www.madisondxclub.org is operating well.
– Email… Ted – K9IMM: MDXC e-mail reflector is operating well. email@example.com
– SWAP… Dave – KB9CSW: Amateur used equipment e-mail reflector is operating well. firstname.lastname@example.org
– Scholarship… Ed – N9MW: Two applications have been received. The scholarship committee is reviewing these now. There will be a Scholarship fund raising table at the Baraboo / Circus City Hamfest on August 26th. Donations of equipment are being solicited.
General and Member Information:
Longtime MDXC member Herb Jordan – W9LA, 89, of Madison, WI passed away on Friday, July 7, 2017.
After graduating from Hartford High School, Herb served in the United States Army. He then graduated from North Central College (IL) where he received a BS degree in engineering. He moved to Madison in 1953 and went to work for WKOW-TV, where he helped to get the first TV station on air in Madison. He also worked for WTKM in Hartford, WISC-TV, and finally WHA-TV, where he retired in 1990.
He was especially proud of the fact that he had made contact with amateur radio operators from every country in the world. He was a member throughout the years of numerous groups including ARRL, FLARC, MDXC, INDXA, Rag Chewers Club and NCDXF. Herb earned #1 Honor Roll and his DXCC tally was 361 entities!
Herb will be remembered for his kindness, friendship, and great memories. He was fun to be around and will be dearly missed.Several MDXC members spoke about Herb’s friendship and accomplishments.
Discussion about a possible MDXC fall Banquet. Ed – N9MW volunteered to study the feasibility.
Discussion about future meeting locations. We are looking for a new location, none identified as yet.
A motion was made to make an expenditure for flowers for Herb’s service, seconded and approved unanimously.
The business meeting was adjourned at 7:39 PM.
Submitted by Lloyd Berg – N9LB, MDXC President